PAST GENERATIONS AT WEST HOLT MEDICAL SERVICES
Medical Services (WHMS) is a testimony to the spirit and
character of people in the area for many past generations.
hospital was opened in February of 1952 and named Atkinson
Memorial Hospital. A group of young wives of veterans who had
returned from World War II, called the Atkinson Veterans Wives (AVW)
Club, were instrumental in getting the project going. They felt
that their young families needed a good hospital nearby.
Committees were formed, a fund drive was initiated and the total
community became involved. They raised the money from
individuals and civic organizations, which amounted to over 1/2
of the total cost of the facility and was deeded to and under
the management of the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago.
In 1957, an
addition was planned and a campaign was launched; again the area
residents helped with part of the cost until it was finished.
In 1972, the
Franciscan Sisters of Chicago ceased operation of the hospital
and the hospital advisory board incorporated as the West Holt
Memorial Hospital Association, Inc.
another hospital was built in Atkinson and given a new name,
West Holt Memorial Hospital. Like the first hospital, it too
received wide support throughout the West Holt area. With the
help of donors sponsoring rooms or areas of the new building the
projected was completed. A heliport was constructed on land
donated by the Dvorak Brothers. A new outpatient clinic
adjoining West Holt Memorial Hospital was also completed.
2006, the hospital completed projects including business office
renovation/expansion, renovation/expansion of the Emergency
Room, and enlarging the radiology area to accommodate new
In January 2011 the hospital
renovations of all patient rooms, nurses' station and family
room were completed.
In May 2011, the new West Holt
Therapy Services building opened. Almost 100% of the
project costs were covered by donations.
In 2013 two medical clinic exam
rooms received a makeover. An art contest was held with area
youth to design a theme for an exam room they would like to
visit when at the doctor. Bailey Krause was the first place
winner with a farm scene. Local artist Megan Mitchell was hired
to paint wall size murals for a cowboy themed exam room and a
safari themed exam room. This project was funded in whole by
donations from the community.
In 2015 the medical clinic
received a facelift with new flooring, paint and cabinetry.